Smederevo fortress

By
Smederevo fortress Smederevo fortress

At the confluence of the river Jezava with the river Danube, one of the most beautiful fortresses in Europe-Smederevo-lise. The fortress was erected by Despot Đurđe Branković as a new residence of the state fighting to survive after being confronted with strong Turkish penetrations in XV century.

The colossal fortress, surrounded by water from all sides. Seemed to be inconvincible; yet, in 1459, it was conquered by the Turks, which signified the end of the Serbian medieval state.

The very bit triangle-shaped fortified city is belted by 25 tower, standing 20 meters high and massive walls of around 10 meters in height and up to 4 meters wide. The Small City was built first, with Despot Đuraš s court providin a ceremonial hall for audiences and the donjon-tower seving as the last shelter for the court s nobility. A little later, the Big City was built, where militarity camps were deployed and where the local populatin lived and was fortified by colossal towers is open for visitors and represents a space for cultural and sports events of the City of Smederevo.

  • Email to a friend Email to a friend
  • Print version Print version
  • Plain text Plain text

Tagged as:

fortresses

Rate this article

0

Newsletter