Dečani

By
Dečani Dečani

The monastery was built from 1327 - 35 year. The main temple builder was Fra Vita from Kotor. Founders of this imposing church are the king Stefan Dechanski and his son, Dusan the emperor. In the monastery was built hospital for monks.

First time was ruined after the Kosovo battle, but it was soon restored by Princess Milica. In the monastery was school for transcription and decoration of books being active for a long time . Grandiose paintings has over a thousand very well preserved compositions. In the church, in front ofthe altar are two sarcophaguses. In one are relics of St. Stefan Dechanski stored in the shrine, which was donated to the monastery in 1849 by the Prince Aleksandar Karadjordjevic. In the second chest, once was the body of Helen, sister of Stefan Dechanski. Monastery today has certainly the most wealthiest church treasury in Serbia.

  • Email to a friend Email to a friend
  • Print version Print version
  • Plain text Plain text

Tagged as:

UNESCO world heritage site, monastery, Dečani monastery

Rate this article

0

Newsletter